Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: dhcp altering firewall rules

From: Crispin Harris <Harris_C () DeMorgan com au>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 07:32:37 +1000

Firstly: I missed the beginning of this conversation, so may be missing the
point.

I can think of a number of situations in which you might want to be able to
adjust your rules based on a DHCP lease.
1: Your internet connection is ADSL with PPPoE. (i.e. your ISP provides a
DHCP address to the external interface of your home/small office firewall.)

2: You have a small fixed network, and a few laptops which (probably for
ease of system configuration) run with DHCP enabled addapters (especially
true for WinNT laptops). If these DHCP systems need special firewall access,
then I can definately see a need for DHCP updates.

As for solutions, that really depends on your Firewall software.

Firewall-1:
        [This a a grotty hack, and an ugly kludge.]
        Assumtion: these addresses do not need STATIC NAT.
        Trick: Firewall-1 still refers to 'object groups' even in
        the penultimate rule files (the .pf files).
        Method:
          Generate two Fw-1 groups: DHCP_Allowed, and DHCP_denied.
          Whenever a rule is generated that affects these machines,
          ALWAYS use the group objects.
          All add denied addresses into DHCP_denied, try not to use
        this group except as a last resort, as it would complicate
        the text file modifications
          When an address is allocated, modify the contents of the
        group DHCP_Allowed in $FWDIR/conf/objects.C
          reload the policy file: fw load <policy>.pf

SunScreen:
        Similar to the Firewall-1 kludge, but the configuration
        is stored in /etc/opt/SUNWicg/....
        Trick: SunScreen objects can be modified on the command line.

Gauntlet > 4.0:
        Yuck, sorry, this thing is GUI based, and command line changes
        don't work anymore.

IBM SecureNetGateway:
        Grin - this is a ipfilter table. Need to write some perl, but
        still, it should not be too difficult. (Could even do it in m4!)

ipchains:
iptables:
IPFw:
        See SecureNetGateway. Difference is really in the format of each
        line.

Cisco IOS ACLS (IP FeatureSet or Firewall FeatureSet)
        This is dangerous, and not to be tried by the faint hearted.
        Trick 1: tftp is your friend.
        Trick 2: AAA, and user autocommands.
        Trick 3: VERY important: make sure the access list denies access to
        your tftp server!!! Also run tcp_wrappers on your tftp server.
        Method: See SecureNetGateway

Cisco PIX:
        See IOS ACLs, but be careful.

In general, the tricky bit isn't getting the firewall to accept a new set of
rules, the hard part is doing it without adversely affecting system
performance and availability. (No, I am not saying that it is easy, just
that it is not "difficult" ).

BTW: half the problem is fixed by 'atchange'.

regards,
        crispin harris