Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Comments from Checkpoint on Nokia load balancing

From: "Schotsal, Roger" <roger.schotsal () intel com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:54:10 -0800

Gents I am rolling out some Nokia Boxes -

Below are some comments I got back from Checkpoint on on recent strings in
the news group.  Thought they might be of interest.  I did not do any
editing to preserve the integrity.

A few comments below:

First, Nokia often lags in patch release. Often, you'll see a few weeks
between the time a patch/hot fix/service pack comes out for the Sun version
of FW-1 and the Nokia version.

It is true that currently Nokia service packs, patches etc are released a
little bit after Sun and NT versions.  The goal is two weeks.  As of now,
both Nokia and Check Point are dedicating more resources to gettting this
process speeded up.

Second, Nokia is based on BSD. My understanding (could be wrong) is that
Checkpoint is asking all application vendors to now run the Linux version
of
FW-1. This would mean that conceivably at some point Nokia will have to
switch from BSD to Linux. This *is* speculation on my part, but it seems
reasonable.

Check Point is not asking all appliance vendors to run on Linux.  The
criteria used in selecting an OS for a "Secured by Check Point" appliance
are performance and cost.  In many cases, Linux turns out to be the best in
both areas

Third, Sun is much faster at DES encryption throughput than Nokia (however,
Nokia seems to win in raw packet passing speed.) Also, I don't believe the
add on cards for encryption acceleration support Nokia yet, but I'm not
certain on that...

According to the figures I've seen
(http://www.checkpoint.com/products/vpn1/vpn1perfdata.html), Sun is only
slightly faster on DES encryption.  The Chrysalis Accelerator card is
currently available for Nokia and the release of the Broadcom card for
Nokia is imminent.

Fourth, with dual Sun boxes, and a good fail over product like Stone Beat,
believe you can do load balancing of traffic between both Sun boxes. As far
as I know, you can't do load balancing between two Nokia boxes yet.

Yes, this is true.  However, there are also other options such as load
balancing switches etc.
http://www.checkpoint.com/opsec/performance.html#HA_Load_Balancing

Roger Schotsal
Internet Firewall Product Engineer