Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Reversise Proxies?

From: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins () itdomain com au>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 09:37:23 +1100

Thank you,
        I'm not currently in the market for a reverse proxy, which is
why I did not talk about specific products, but instead tried to clarify
what a product needs to be a worthwhile reverse proxy. It does sound
like your product would be worth investigating for new sites.

On the more general side, I have not done a market review for some time
- on the commercial side the air-gap appliance was touted as having a
similar set of functionality. The Novell NCS suite, and the MS ISA
products seem a little below the functionality barrier from what I've
seen. On the free software side, both apache, with mod_rewrite (already
mentioned) and squid (not mentioned so far) have the capability to
perform fine grained access checks. I'm not aware of any other free
software packages aimed at http reverse proxying, with the fine grained
control we're talking about.

In my view one significant benefit of a roll-your-own environment is the
flexability to quickly add protection against new web server attacks.
        - Does your product allow that? or do you require the users to
wait for patchs?

Does anyone know of any other commercial reverse proxies along similar
lines? Are there existing market reviews? I'd be willing to do a review
if there is significant interest among the list readers. (please mail me
direct regarding that so as not to flood the list).

Rob