Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Does blocking TCP DNS packets keep your Bind safe?

From: "Behm, Jeffrey L." <BehmJL () bvsg com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:59:54 -0600

From: Adrian Brinton [mailto:adrian () brinton to]
I think you miss the point... I could go to any of my favorite '31337
warez' sites and download a nice easy to use exploit for BIND.

And so could the developers of BIND, figure out what the exploit does
and fix it (under much more pressure to do so from the amount of people
using BIND).

Actually,
I would have a choice of many, for many versions. I can't say the same
is true for djbdns, regardless if one is better written, more
secure, or
whatever.

As I see it, your point is that because djbdns isn't in widespread use,
it isn't as "choice" a target as BIND, and therefore doesn't have as
many tools developed (yet) to break it. You don't have to have a
higher "level of interest for people to design exploits" to have
someone break it. It only takes one with enough interest. If you are
willing to accept that, so be it. I am not.

My point was that just because the tools aren't readily available and
fewer people know about it doesn't make it a better product (security
by obscurity). The fact that BIND (or any other product) is in
widespread use typically (but not always!) means that those "nice and
easy" exploits are found, announced, and patched more quickly than
other less used products.