Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Any Firewalls work well with PPPoE?

From: "Whitlock, Teresa" <Teresa.Whitlock () dionex com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 06:01:37 -0700

We are currently using Raptor with people coming in via VPN using the
RaptorMobile client.  Unfortunately, we are having some major issues with
several remote users located in various areas across the country due to the
problems with DSL with PPPoE.

We've tried changing the MTU size, having them change routers, switching
settings on the Firewall and client end.  Dialup works fine, but DSL doesn't
work so well.  Most of the time we give up and have them switch service
providers to one that does not use PPPoE.  We've had some success lately
with Nexland routers on the client end, but the process is still difficult.

I have a couple of questions.  First, are there any of the major players
that have a good solution for this kind of situation?  I wouldn't be opposed
to switching products if we could actually find one that worked well.

Second, could someone explain to me a bit about what PPPoE actually is and
whether it is likely to stick around to become a bigger pain?  I've read the
bits I can find, but I'd like more.

Teresa