Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Red Hat 7.1 and Iptables

From: Bruce Platt <Bruce () ei3corp com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:09:29 -0400

I'm a few days behind on mail, so ...

What's the general feeling of the group regarding the robustness of an
iptables based fw?  That's rather open-ended, what I am really interested in
is how reliable is an iptables based implementation built on top of
Bastille, for example, in terms of:

reliability  -- does what it's rules are defined to do,
repeatability -- does the same thing each time,
ease of adding general proxies -- e.g. squid,
ease of adding in Free S/Wan,
integration with tools like Snort

robustness to attack if one has done the set-up well.

Casual conversation as well as reading suggests that this can work quite
well, but ...

Regards