Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IRC ports open on NT4?

From: "Andrew Cogger" <andrew.cogger () innovonics com au>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 23:31:33 +1000

Philip,

Are you running Powerchute, the UPS monitoring software
from APC? This also uses the ports you mention.

AJ

From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist () ekahuna com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 04:58:12 -0700

Have some suspicious stuff going on at a site and in my initial
investigation I went to an NT server there and typed 'netstat -an' to
see what was open, and found these curious entries:

TCP    0.0.0.0:6666            0.0.0.0:0                       LISTENING
TCP    0.0.0.0:6667            0.0.0.0:0                       LISTENING
[...]
TCP    127.0.0.1:6667          127.0.0.1:1043          ESTABLISHED
TCP    127.0.0.1:6666          127.0.0.1:1043          ESTABLISHED

That box runs the following services: Post.office (SMTP MTA),
Interscan Viruswall, Filemaker Pro Server, and PC Anywhere host.

There is no IRC server on that box, and the Microsoft NNTP service is
not running.  Why would it be listening on IRC ports?

Thanks,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist () ekahuna com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium

--
Andrew Cogger B.E. (Elec)(Hons)
Electrical & Computing Systems Manager

Ph +61 (0)3 9376 6671
Fx +61 (0)3 9376 0507
Mb 0425 792 004

mailto:andrew.cogger () innovonics com au
http://www.innovonics.com.au
http://www.innovonics.net

PGP Key ID: 0xC546109D

--

whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient
you must not use, disclose or distribute this email or any