Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Ddos prevention tools...

From: <black () galaxy silvren com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 17:25:17 -0400 (EDT)

I'm a little skeptical on stopping DDOS attacks. The only "real" way to
stop them is to prevent the traffic at the original source.

So you use your firewall to block berserk HTTP requests heading for your
web server on a DMZ. That's great. But you still have a huge hunk of
bandwidth being wasted as the requests continue to pour in. What happens
if you're being smurfed? Filtering at your firewall in this case does
absolutely nothing. Your external links are still saturated.

If your sink gets plugged, sure you can shut off the water so it doesn't
overflow, but you still can't use it.

I guess every little bit helps, but we need to consider if that's really
an effective solution.