Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DDOS Countermeasures RFC

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:38:55 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Scott Vowels wrote:

In many cases the problem isn't that some technical solutions aren't
available, it's the last part of Karl Wolfgang's
statement that seems to doom some of us:  "...the enlistment of additional
administrators and technically savvy and financially resourceful
executives."  Good luck:)  Getting senior management to support spending
money and time on security is often a difficult task.

Right.  That's why I'd like to see enlightenment be required to create the
spoofing problem, rather than preventing it.  I.e.  I'd rather the network
admin have to have a clue to turn the leaf-node setting OFF, rather than
them having to have a clue to turn it on.

Perhaps it's too late to change the defaults.

                                        Ryan