Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SecureID vs Certificates

From: George Capehart <capegeo () opengroup org>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:19:26 -0500

Darren Reed wrote:

This talk has got me thinking...has anyone found a way to combine
OTP's with digital certificates?  (Without using a "normal" password
or passphrase, that is).

Darren

Interesting question.  IM_H_O, for authentication, I'd rather use OTPs
/done correctly/ than a cert.  However, Crist's earlier indications
about how hard it is to do anything Right (TM) apply here, too.  See
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/otp-charter.html, RFCs 2243, 2289 and
2444 for more detail.  Dictionary distribution is the challenge here . .
.

--
George W. Capehart                               Phone:  +1 704.277.4561
                                                   Fax:  +1 704.853.2624

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
Anonymous