Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Traffic Management

From: "Paul Heber" <pheber () qantas com au>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 07:19:15 +1000

The other one you may wish to consider that works very well is the
Packeteer device. This does full TCP rate control by modifying the TCP
window and ack times. Again you can specify percentages of flow, plus URL
priority etc etc.

Also running as a seperate device will not load down your firewall

Regards
Paul Heber

Ph:       (+612) 9691 4545
Mobile: (+614) 1231 0945
Fax:      (+612) 9691 4660

                    "Safier, Adam

                    (GEIO)"                     To:     Rama Kant <kant () adeptech com>, bparis () sorrentolactalis
com, firewall-wizards () fraggle nfr net
                    <Adam.Safier () geio ge        cc:

                    .com>                       Subject:     RE: [fw-wiz] Traffic Management

                    Sent by:

                    firewall-wizards-adm

                    in () nfr com

                    13/02/2001 05:46

Check Point offers a product called Floodgate that lets you set priority by
% or max kbps. There are several other product vendors that offer similar
products dedicated to traffic shaping/control.  Cisco routers also have a
parameter that lets you limit certain types of traffic to a max bandwidth.

If you are using a caching proxy you may be able to set a bandwidth limit
on
that proxy. The result of all these is that certain categories of traffic
(http vs. ftp vs. e-mail vs. specific ports) get throttled.  The better
solutions can specify bandwidth by protocol and source/destination so your
e-mail server to corporate HQ server can get 50% of the bandwidth while
non-corporate smtp gets 10% and http gets 5% etc.

They all require establishing a corporate policy and then setting up some
rules.

Adam