Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Benchmark of Firewall ?

From: "Henniges, Matthew (ISS)" <MHenniges () exchange ml com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 15:30:33 -0500

6-7Mbps ( according document of Raptor, this software can support 45Mbps

Things are more complicated than that. I bet if it was just one user running an ftp session through the firewall, you
could hit 80Mb a second. But I can think of many situations where you will get far less than that.

Believing that the performance of your firewall can be quantified in one number is ridiculous. You have plenty of
hardware, and for easy network traffic I think that the network would be your limit. But, if your average traffic is
say, all UDP packets with 8 byte payloads, or even worse, TCP connections coming up, transferring a few bytes, then
shutting down -- and doing it many hundreds of times a second, It is entirely possible that you will get less then
5Mbps.

-Matt