Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Next Generation Security Architecture - TO MODERATOR - CORRECTED COPY

From: Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () post1 com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 23:11:20 +0800

From: "Ng Pheng Siong" <ngps () post1 com>
Reverse proxies break X.509 cert-based client authentication.

I don't believe there's any protocol level reason why the reverse proxy
cannot perform the X.509 certificate authentication itself. Certainly
the web server AND the reverse proxy cannot both perform that
authentication.

You're right on both counts.

AFAIK some of the commercial reverse proxies will perform authentication
on behalf of the webserver.

Then the reverse proxy is really telling the webserver "trust me" when
communicating the identity of the client.

Apart from the (imho fallacious) warm fuzzy feeling that "our real
webserver is no longer exposed to direct attack from the Internet", I don't
see value in a reverse proxy - the reverse proxies I've seen in production
simply relay stuff back and forth.

What about things like the cisco
LocalDirector? Although I'm not quite sure whether that's a reverse
proxy or a tcp load balancer :-].

It's a dead product. Cisco now peddles Arrowpoint. ;-)

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () post1 com> * http://www.post1.com/home/ngps