Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Layer 4 switch vs. firewall

From: agetchel () kde state ky us
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:12:04 -0500

        I believe the keywords here are 'if you are physically present'.
It's easy if you are standing right next too the switch to unplug your
laptop from a port which is in one VLAN to a port which is in another VLAN
and reconfigure your box.  Of course one would hope that an organization
concerned in protecting their assets through electronic security measures
are just as concerned about protecting their assts through physical security
measures as well.  This is, however, unfortunately not the case the majority
of the time.  It doesn't do much good in putting in a
wiz-bang-best-of-breed-kick-butt firewall if someone can walk into one of
buildings and plug up to a switch at will.

Thanks,
Abe

Abe L. Getchell - Security Engineer
Division of System Support Services