Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

How to "force" the firewall to listen to unused ports?

From: Bruno Negrão <bnegrao () engepel com br>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:08:25 -0200

Hello,

I'm configuring a linux firewall (redhat 7.2, kernel 2.4.13-9, iptables)
with to network interfaces.
In my internal network I'll make available a www server for the Internet. I
want to forward the www requests to the port 80 of my firewall to the port
80 of my internal www server (in my private network).
To make this address and port redirection i'm using the following iptable
rules:
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp --dport 80 -j
DNAT --to-destination                192.168.13.2:80
It seems to be correct. But my firewall is refusing connections on port 80.
Well, since it hasn't any service listening to the port 80 (it doesn't have
any www server installed), it does no listen to the 80 port at all (I
presume).
Is it possible to make the firewall listen to the port 80 (or whichever
port) whithout attaching a server service to it?

Thank you,