Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ADSL Bridging/Firewall Issues.....

From: Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () netmemetic com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 01:23:42 +0800

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 04:38:53AM -0800, Andrew Fremantle wrote:
So? Any suggestions? Currently i've got an additional FreeBSD box up on the
network, acting as a Bridge between my switch and the modem. It has two
interfaces, neither of which is configured for IP, and isn't filtering
(yet).

Make this an IP (firewalling) gateway.

I'd like to keep full connectivity, except for the stuff i'm going to filter
(Like Windows Networking). I'm running multiple servers and I like online
gaming, and NAT is not friendly to either of these options, especially the
gaming.

A router (in your case a FreeBSD IP firewall) gives you full connectivity,
except for the stuff you're going to filter.

I understand your posting to mean you have public addresses. You don't need
NAT, then.

Cheers.
--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () netmemetic com> * http://www.netmemetic.com