Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: potential network attacks

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 10:13:21 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 black () galaxy silvren com wrote:

Wildpackets Etherpeek is a good buy. I got mine for around $1200/copy.
Significantly cheaper than Network Associates, which was around $15k in
the quote I received.

Ethereal is a better buy- it's free software :)  NAI's software makes
nicer eye candy, and the error highlighting makes it better for people who
don't have a lot of experience (especially in Token Ring environments),
but if you just need to look at packets, Ethereal rocks.  I haven't looked
at Etherpeek, but I've used the NAI product since back when it was Network
General and came with its own hardware.

Granted, they are not exactly the same product so no flames please. But
they both sniff and sniff well, so if you're just interested in looking at
some captures, Etherpeek is worth a look.

Ethereal is actually more stable under Windows than under Linux, and does
a very good job of packet decoding- which is the value to someone who
knows enough about networking to do good troubleshooting.

Paul