Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SIP support in NAT

From: John Ladwig <jladwig () aravox com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:19:23 -0600 (CST)

 All, Here is a doubt regarding SIP support in NAT.
As per NAT, an external host (having a global ip address) can not access the
local host behind NAT. If the local host has started a session, then packets
from external host for this particular session should be allowed. If this is
the case then calling from external host to local users behind NAT will
never possible.   In case of SIP/MGCP/H.323 only local users can make call
and never will be able to receive calls. How should this problem can be
overcome, please suggest.

This is hardly an unknown problem in the VoIP space.

See the IETF Midcom working group, and a variety of SIP drafts and related
works noted in the main SIP RFCs.

There are several vendors working products in this space as well.

I short, VoIP with NAT and/or firewalls is possible, but it involves
one or more of:

    a)  Modified endpoints
    b)  Protocol-aware NAT/firewalls and/or ALGs
    c)  External media proxies and/or tunneling

I have personally overseen the creation of a substantial number of
network architectures which implement what we so cheerfully refer
to as "one-way media."

Other than support-desk applications (where the helpdesk can speak
and the caller only listen), these tend not to be highly valuable
architectures.

    -jml