Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Linux Firewall

From: rob.roberson () verizon com
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:02:53 -0400

If you are interested, linux 2.4.x kernels can be configured as effective
packet filters, including stateful inspection. I'll be glad to try and help
in this area. There are also several 'hardening scripts' to make the
firewalling configuration (as well as some other aspects of network and
host security) somewhat automated (checkout http://www.bastille-linux.org).

On the other hand, you can purchase a 3-rd party product to run on your
linux system. I haven't tried any of these yet.

~Rob Roberson
SPEC - Systems Analyst
Verizon Data Services

If you smile at me, I will understand
'Cause that is something everybody everywhere does
In the same language.
                                                  - David Crosby

                    adam

                    <agraham () lcc net>           To:     firewall-wizards () nfr com

                    Sent by:                    cc:

                    firewall-wizards-adm        Subject:     [fw-wiz] Linux Firewall

                    in () nfr com

                    08/06/2001 09:52 PM

i got a linux box i would like to turn into a firewall for home... i have
it set up right now with 2 nics and just using simple maquerading. I would
like to go to the next step in complexity... I was looking around
sourceforge and freshmeat and saw a mind boggling number of programs.. I am
new to firewalls, but experienced in Linux / AIX / HPUX. Any input would be
appretiated and welcomed..

Adam Graham