Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

positive logic?

From: ark () eltex ru
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 18:24:26 +0400

nuqneH,

Looks like i missed interesting things ignoring the whole Code Red discussion :(
(It is almost impossible to read _all_ messages in _all_ mailing lists i am
subscribed to)

I'd like to know more about "positive logic". It is good when you protect,
say, tcp/ip stack: you make formal description of the state machine and then
just drop everything that does not match. This method is secure by design,
but real ip stacks implement performance hacks that make this approach
hard and confusing (thanks we have ipfilter that does much of dirty work for
us ;)

But things are not so clean when we do talk application layer.
Things that are "exploits" for some web servers - or worse, cgi's - are perfectly
legal requests for others because those requests do confrom http standard.

There are exceptions that are easy to handle but the problem still exists.
How can one be so sure every "bad" request will be blocked? The only solution
is having (and maintaining it up-to-date!) huge database of what requests could
be handled by every application we run and which ones are illegal. Most fit some
known patterns but the problem still exists.

I know there are some products that claim to do, but i'd like to see technical
papers describing how does it work in details. Otherwise i am forced to think of
it as snake oil.

What about open source implentations ;)?

Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au> said :

In some email I received from Joseph Steinberg, sie wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly that we do need to come up with a better way of
addressing these issues than patching every specific vulnerability. Our
e-Gap systems do this with positive logic -- i.e., enforcing that
web-servers/applications only receive requests in formats that the
web-servers/apps expect. So, worm attacks, hacker attacks, etc. (which are
generally based on unexpected submissions) fail -- regardless of whether the
particular hack is known to our product or not. I am curious how others deal
with this.
[...]

How about making it a felony to sell or otherwise provide software for
commercial use that contains buffer overflows ?  Or make it something you
cannot "disclaim" - it should be part of the exercising of due diligence
every software company has to get them out of software before releasing it.

I'm actually half serious about this.

It's time to start raising the bar.

How much does it cost the world to patch these problems up vs the developer
to put in place proper testing to find and eliminate these problems before
it goes out the door?  How can we allow such a critical piece of modern life
to be such a pile of rubbish?  The frightening thing is if you look from the
embedded market all the way up to super computers, there are no exceptions
in the "has a buffer overflow security hole" category.

 [||] [||] [||]            Do i believe in Bible? Hell,man,i've seen one!