Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ISA server versus PIX

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 01:41:34 -0400 (EDT)

recent posting via sans and security wire digest might be of interest
here, not limited to, yet, including the more recent out of sans;

 --24 August 2001  Microsoft Releases IIS Lockdown Tool
In the aftermath of Code Red, Microsoft released an IIS Lockdown Tool
that disables many functions and services that could be exploited
by attackers.
http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO63310,00.html
[Editor's (Schultz) Note: I understand the desire to turn off FTP
and SMTP services, too, but I question the wisdom of doing this when
the real problem is IIS Web servers.  It is important to disable all
unnecessary services, but having a tool that purports to fix IIS but
then goes and does other things is not necessarily desirable.]

 --17 August 2001  Patch Available for ISA Server 2000 Flaws
Microsoft has issued a patch to repair three holes in its Internet
Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2000.  Two of the flaws are
memory leaks: one in the voice-over-IP capability, and one in the
proxy service that could lead to denial of service.  The third is an
error message-handling problem that could allow attackers to execute
malicious code and use cookies on the affected machines.
http://computerworld.com/nlt/1%2C3590%2CNAV65-663_STO63199_NLTSEC%2C00.html

Additionally, from what I have seen on ISA puts it more in the 'personal
firewall' realm, then a tool on par with the better known tools like the
pix you are asking for comparisons too.  It can block what comes in, yet
fails to deal with what might be leaving.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne