Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Load Balancers as Firewalls

From: tony bourke <tony () vegan net>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:29:37 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I have an article currently on O'Reilly's site that I thought this list
mind find interesting.  It's regarding the use of server load balancing
devices for firewall functionality in addition to their regular roles.

http://sysadmin.oreilly.com/news/loadbalancing_0801.html

While maybe not a CheckPoint or PIX level solution, I would put load
balancers at the same level as say a Linux-based firewall or ACLs on a
Layer 3 device.

The cost savings alone make it very compelling, as well as dealing with
situations where you need to push over 80 Mbps, which I've always had
problems with in firewalls.

I'd be interested in any feedback.

Regards,

Tony

--
Tony Bourke                             tony () vegan net