Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN Problems

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:52:34 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Jason Wu wrote:

Hi, has anyone on this list had any problems with their VPNs that can be
traced to something the ISP is doing?

Sure.  I've had ISPs not pass the packet types I needed them to, despite
their claims that they do no filtering.  Do a traceroute some time and see
how many ISPs you cross.

I want to get an idea of how
prevalent it is for ISPs to filter VPN traffic or to perform NAT causing
AH to break etc.

Yes, any of that will break AH.  Or GRE.  Or IPinIP, etc...

Also, how have you worked around these limitations?

Change ISPs or VPN software.

But at least I'm not bitter or cynical about it. :)

Note that it is explicitly against the policies of some ISPs to use a VPN.

                                        Ryan