Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: nmap on the internal interface of a PIX

From: Chris Cappuccio <chris () empnet com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:02:45 -0700 (PDT)

That's why NMAP says filtered... To nmap, when it receives a connection-reset
reply, (meaning nothing is listening on a particular TCP port), it ignores
it, but when it gets NO reply (e.g. your packeteer filter), then it assumes
the port is filered....

nmap has other quirks like this, too, you can't totally take everything it
says literally, you have to understand what it's actually doing to make these
determinations.... New packet shaping/filtering stuff plays new tricks and
nmap would have to compensate for everything to be totally accurate!!!

--
"Should we now be comfortable with a 'trust us, we're the government'
approach?  I don't think anybody on this committee shares that view."

-John Conyers, House Judiciary Committee on the FBI Carnivore system