Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Virtualisable Firewalls

From: Wozz <wozz+firewall-wizards () wookie net>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 00:04:00 -0600

Does anyone know of a box which can do "virtualised" firewalling for
different interfaces (whether physical or virtual - eth/ATM)

Depending on how big you are and how much you're looking to spend, I'd take
a look at the Nortel Shasta 5000 BSN.  Its more than just a firewall
solution, but it claims to be able to provide stateful firewalling in an
easily provisionable package for thousands of end customers on one box.
Supports several different ATM interfaces.  I just heard about this
recently, and know of at least one good sized network provider putting them
in place.  A brief quote from their page

"Supports more than 32,000 simultaneous subscribers with full aggregation,
firewalling, traffic management and VPN (128,000 per 7' rack)

Up to 28 dedicated hardware encryption engines for DES56 and 3DES VPN
security and packet compression"

No idea if its true, but I will be looking more into these boxes in the
near future for possible deployment.