Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Tool for large log file reporting? (was: RE: WebSense)

From: "Joe Ippolito" <joe () joesnet com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 23:23:31 -0700

There are active server pages included with MS Proxy that will create tables
and DSN's to make MS Proxy log to MS SQL server.  See MS Proxy help pages
for how to.  Real easy to setup but does slow down the proxy a bit.  Your
queries then become SQL queries and log size can get quite large.  P.S. MS
Proxy is much faster on IIS 5 (Win2K).

Not totally related but I was amazed at how little I found in the database
when quering on sex, xxx, etc. after we provided a web site where managers
could look up where their subordinates had been over the past two weeks.
Just knowing of its existance kept the pipes wide open for real work.  And a
good E-com policy supposedly kept the company off the legal hook.  We never
blocked anything.  It also left FW1 to keeping out the bad without having to
worry about what was going on on the inside ... too much.