Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Implementing PIX Failover over a Fibre link?

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () tla org>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:22:49 -0700

--On Monday, September 18, 2000 12:38 PM -0400 "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net> wrote:

Carson Gaspar wrote:
Today, this is not possible (at least, not easily). The PIX failover
cable is a serial cable with some high/low pins to determine
primary/secondary and box "upness".

         Couldn't someone build their own by just taking two computers
         (e.g: linux boxes or *bsd or whatever) and having them listen
         to the ports, then talk across the network and replicate the
         serial port state via IP? That's basically what the old
         "emulate a serial link over IP" computer games hacks use. I
         wonder if you could even use the same software! :)  Of course
         this begs the question of keeping those machines up and fault
         tolerant, but that's left as an exercise for the reader. :)

Of course. That's why I said "not easily" :)

You'd have to to various bits of high/low pin magic, so your tunnel would have to include more than just the Tx/Rx data. I wouldn't be surprised if someone makes a RS-232<->Fiber converter device that could be made to work with some hackery. Just don't call Cisco for support problems :)

--
Carson Gaspar -- carson () tla org
Queen Trapped in a Butch Body