Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Open Source vs. Closed Source [ was Re: Firewall Throughput ]

From: "Domenico De Vitto" <dom () devitto demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:25:20 +0100

I totally agree with Chris.

You need only look at the FTP-rulebase-opening bug, first found in FW1, and
then in other products.  How long did it take for Cisco to find (assuming a
good guy didn't tell them) & then fix that one - 12 months?  I'm pretty damn
sure that a few blackhats were smiling for some time.  Especially when you
think that the bug was in these products since they added laver-7 stateful
inspection....a long time ago.

Conpare this to the very obscure, complex and configuration-dependant
security
bugs that have been found with the open source 'IP filters' in the last 12
months....

Dom