Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Killing Napster and beyond...

From: "Graham, Randy (RAW) " <RAW () y12 doe gov>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 10:25:38 -0400

Until someone needs to send something from A to B, but they haven't
quite finished the project and it is time to go home for the
week-end.  So, they send it to point C (at home) in the clear, finish
it up on Saturday, and then send it on to network B Saturday night
(again, in the clear).  But I like your analogy, because I think it
gets to the intended point of the "Technology should not be used to
manage people's behavior" statement.  I think the original poster
meant the technology shoud not be used exclusively.  In other words,
just blocking napster (or just about any other service) via a
firewall is not sufficient, as users can work around your blocks
somehow or another (we all know about tunnelling everything in the
world over HTTP).

In addition to a technological measure, there needs to be a company
policy on usage that states "Protocol X" is not to be used on the
network.  Sure, you try to block it with the firewall, but you have
the company policy to fall back to when people start trying to work
around it.  Similarly, the earlier statement about traffic lights
being a technology to manage people's behavior doesn't quite stand
up.  There is nothing inherent in a traffic light that forces me to
stop when it is red.  It is the technology in conjunction with the
policy (actually, the law) that tells me I am supposed to stop at a
red light that makes me stop.  People still work around the
technology, but there are penalties for doing so if they get caught.

Yes, the technology is there to limit things, but without the
policies in place, people can just find a way to work around the
tehnological limitation and continue there fun unmolested.  I really
think the original poster meant "Technology *ALONE* should not be
used to manage people's behavior."

Randy Graham