Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: AirGap's... one way protection

From: "Harris, Tim" <tharris () ocair com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:58:56 -0700

At what level is the "e-gap" unidirectional?  If it is truly unidirectional
then how would I verify that the information was received correctly or even
at all?  I should think that if I were to use it for storage of credit card
transactions, it would behoove me to be able to guarantee that it was
received/processed.  If I can't even do some level of confirmation across
the gap how can I trust it except blind faith?  If I'm counting on that
transaction for $$ I want to KNOW that it is saved safely.

etc.) You could pass the credit card information through an e-Gap in a one
way fashion. By using this layer of protection, even if an attacker could

I think the ability to enforce unidirectional transactions in hardware is
one of the main differences between Whale's e-Gap and a standard firewall.