Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re Where to find a example security policy?

From: "Rafael Jose Teixeira (ESDI-NSI)" <rjteixeira () bes pt>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 15:37:12 +0100

Another good sources of that kind of books are :
A Guide to Developing Computing Policy Documents - Barbara L. Dijker -
SAGE Edition (www.usenix.org)
Information security Policies Made Easy - Charles Cresson Wood -
www.baselinesoft.com (expensive)
The NCSA Guide to Enterprise Security - Michel E. Kabay (McGraw-Hill)

However, "security awareness" must be developed from bottom-up, with
user education, enforced with management enpowerment (formal one).
Talking with the "techies" might be a nightmare, but they know th
system, and were it might crack....

Rafael Teixeira

Brian Ford wrote:

Andy and Aaron,

I thought your advice on the "4 E's" was excellent with regard to Internet Acceptable Use Policy.  But with respect
to overall Security Policy there are some areas where your suggestions break down.

You spoke about policies and culture.  It is nice to think that a group of employees working for the same company
could come together, draft and publish such a policy document. In my experience many times these efforts go side ways
when employees can't agree on specifics (like exactly which applications should be supported by the company) or
ignore the reality of how the corporate network works (how much Internet can you push or pull over a T-1 line?).
Yes, many employees want to do the right thing and "just need to know what is right and what is wrong".  Often it's
difficult to get them to agree on right and wrong (after all they are human).

The most successful effort to develop and put in place a policy that I ever witnessed involved a draft that was
written by the IT department (that was 3 people).  It was based on the companies specific environment (applications,
network, etc...).  It was forwarded to the CEO who read it and discovered that he had to ask questions to understand
various chunks.  But after he asked and got answers to all his questions he drafted a memo to all employees.  In that
memo the CEO discussed the objective of putting the policy in place, defined the policy, and how it should work.

He followed that up with an all employee meeting.  That resulted in questions from employees about how various things
should work.  Questions about use of applications.  A lot of questions about backing up data.  The IT department
wound up bringing in some trainers who then focused on those employee questions.  It wasn't "rammed" as everyone was
given an opportunity to ask questions.  The policy as defined by the CEO went into place.

After the security policy was in place the IT group went back (working with management and HR), drafted, and
implemented an acceptable use policy.  And by that time all employees were "pulling the oars in the same direction".
It made sense.  It was worded so that everyone understood what was in and out of bounds behavior. Many employees
signed off right away.  But they still had folks who objected.  I believe that company made renewal of the policy
part of an annual review (not sure).

I've wanted to write about this effort for some time.  This wasn't my employer.  The company involved has no interest
in being "a reference" for such a paper.  So, the best I can do is this.

Lessons that I learned from that company were that you can't assume everyone will understand the policy.  You have to
deliver it in "plain talk" format.  You have to follow up, solicit questions (and objections), and talk to people
about it.  Education is important, if not critical to success.  The policy has to apply to everyone, and be enforced
equally on everyone. Imagine the scene when an employee claims wrongful dismissal and proves that the executive staff
(or others) are not held to the same "all employee" standards.

And no matter how much good work you do some people will ask if they can "opt-out".

Regards,

Brian

Brian Ford
brford () cisco com