Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: TTL, works with Cisco ACL's to :)

From: "Ofir Arkin" <ofir () itcon-ltd com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 01:15:59 +0200

Further more,

When the filtering device is generating the ICMP Error messages, in this
case,
it will give us a clear indication about the OS it is installed on.

If you do not block the error messages than even if you have "transparent"
networking or filtering
devices along the way to the target they are exposed easily when you are
using Firewalk like technique
with an allowed traffic. For example a reverse proxy transparent to the
void. And there are other examples.

Its simply like Lance indicated, block the ICMP error messages from the
filtering device as well.
With Check Point Firewall-1 do 2 mandatory rules: First, do not allow any
traffic to the firewall itself, Second one
will be block any ICMP Error message coming from the filtering device to
anywhere (yes anywhere! Internal
and External). Put those as rule 1 and rule 2.

Anotehr problem would be if the filtering device spoofs replies for machines
it is protecting. This can
lead to the discovery of the OS the filtering device is using as well.

Ofir Arkin  [ofir () itcon-ltd com]
Senior Security Analyst
Chief of Grey Hats
ITcon, Israel.