Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: firewalk meets nmap - TTL (fwd)

From: Chris Boscolo <chrisb () watchguard com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 14:27:36 -0800 (PST)

This is a pretty clever scan.  But, I think the results are going to
vary across Firewalls.  The issue is, does TTL processing happen
before or after rule lookup.

If the packet is not destined for the Firwall itself, (the firewall is
acting as a router), I'd argue it should always send a ICMP TTL
expired.  This would minimize the information gained by the scan.

Alternatively, the Firewall could be configured to never send ICMP
Errors, which would also limit information gathered in this type of
scan.  (But, obviously, might also cause valid connections to not work
properly.)

  -chrisb