Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

more questions about firewall configuration

From: Federico Guerrini <guerrini () elzira unipv it>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 10:48:03 +0200 (METDST)

Hi,
        this is my first time as a writer on this mailing list.
I have read carefully the discussion about "firewall configuration" because I
want to set up a firewalling Linux Box. My problem is quite similar to the one
presented in those messages, but there are some differences:

       ----------|
 internal net    |-----<my firewall>------external net-----<gateway>
       ----------|

The IP addresses on the internal and external nets belong to the same C-class
net (the gateway doesn't know to route packets to me through my firewall, but I
learned from the messages I've read that this problem can be solved by setting
up an arp proxy server on the firewall).
The problem here is that my internal hosts' official IP addresses aren't
contiguos (i.e. my host numbers are .86, .163, etc. but some addresses in the
interval [87,162] are not mine). Is there a solution? If yes, how should I set
the netmask values for the network cards on my firewall and on my internal
hosts?

Thanks in advance for your help.
                                                                Federico