Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAT

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:59:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Bennett Todd wrote:

I'm sure this is doable with Linux with some masquerading for the
internal to external connections and Masquerading or redirection
for the external to internal ones.

With ipfwadm (2.0.x kernels) and ipchains (2.2.x kernels), no, you can
only do Masquerading, not static NAT; there's no way to tell the
kernel to listen for connections on a particular ipaddr:port and

I'm not sure about IP addresses, but I thought the whole "transparent
proxy" solution in the 2.0.n kernels was redirection-alike stuff (this is
from a long ago reading of the stuff at XOS, a quick google shows this at
http://www.xos.nl/linux/ipfwadm/paper/node5.html#SECTION00050000000000000000
- not the most elegant solution, but still a possible solution unless I'm
missing something basic here?)

Also, http://proxy.iinchina.net/~wensong/ipnat/ contains an older (up to
2.0.35) implementation of NAT.

route them to a masqueraded machine. With netfilter (late 2.3.x
kernels, will be in 2.4 when it comes out) you can do this.

There appears to be some NAT code in the 2.2.nn kernels, but I can't say
if it works or how well - specificly there's some config stuff in the
router side code.

http://www.suse.de/~mha/HyperNews/get/linux-ip-nat.html seems to indicate
code for 2.0.29-2.0.33 and 2.2.4 (marked as "Should work with newer 2.2
kernels.)

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280