Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Reading firewall logs

From: "SIU Credit Union IS Dept" <isdept () cecc net>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 16:22:55 -0500

Our site uses the PrivateI application by OpenSystems. It does
have a few bugs, at least in our implementation, but generally
speaking, it is a good syslog management and "light" IDS type of
system. It records and parses the syslog stream and allows
various types of summary and detail reporting. It also features a
"watchdog" component that scans the incoming syslog for filters
and conditions that you specify and provides visual, audio, and
email alterting of these conditions. It does not take long to sort
through the logs with a properly configured filter for your specific
site security policy.

PrivateI works for NT and for Solaris.

It's taken some fine tuning to weed our the extraneous noise and
legitimate traffic from traffic that appears to be hostile or
exceptional (indicating some network or client misconfiguration, for
instance). I've also used a grep like utility to exclude normal
traffic (to the best of my understanding) from my web server logs
and report only the exceptional or suspicious activity.

Good day,
Curt Wilson
SIU Credit Union IS Dept
Network Manager
isdept () cecc net

SIU Credit Union Information Services Department
Serving the technology needs of our members and employees
(618) 549-3636 mailto:isdept () cecc net  http://www.siucu.org