Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ICMP blocking on PIX .4.4.1

From: jseymour () LinxNet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 08:18:51 -0400 (EDT)

majordomo <lists () indifference org> wrote:

[I had written, in part:]
Allowing ICMP (or any connection-less protocol, such as UDP) *through*
the firewall is another issue entirely.  Connection-less protocols are
not safe.  Cannot be made safe.  Other than perhaps allowing syslog
from the router to a syslog host, specifically, I don't see any
particular reason to allow any UDP through a firewall.

[Comments by Steve Bellovin noted.]

Doesn't DNS use udp? As for the icmp issue, I agree with you.

Yes.  (And TCP for zone transfers.  But that is a different discussion.)
But it's not advisable to allow outside queries of ones internal DNS.

Regards,
Jim
--
Jim Seymour                  | PGP Public Key available at:
jseymour () LinxNet com         | http://www.cam.ac.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.html