Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Stefan Savage : Hacking the TCP stack

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 19:46:29 -0400

In message <3922AA5C.984EA8A6 () mitre org>, "Frederick N. Chase" writes:

"R. DuFresne" wrote:

Has anyone looked at the work described here:

I've made a pass through the paper by
Savage,  Wetherall,  Karlin and  Anderson,
which can be found at:
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/savage/traceback.html.

IMHO (which is not necessarily that of my employer),
This is by far the most promising thing that's surfaced to date
for addressing distributed denial-of-service.
--It can be implemented without waiting for IPv6.
--It can be phased in in a practical way.
--It promises an effective solution to the first phase of traceback:
 finding the agent/daemon/zombies which are
 emitting the volumes of packets.

The paper appears to be quite objective as to what can be expected.

I think this should be given immediate thorough consideration
by ISPs and router vendors.

First, IPv6 does nothing to address DDoS attacks.  Second, there are a
number of limitations to Savage's scheme (and at least two similar
schemes that assorted folks are working on):  they don't work with
fragments, they don't work if AH is used (they diddle a field that AH
protects), and they don't work with IPv6 (because there is no Id field
in IPv6).

For an alterative, see
http://www.research.att.com/~smb/papers/draft-bellovin-itrace-00.txt
(also in your favorite Internet drafts directory).  There was a BoF on
it at the last IETF meeting; I expect that there will be a working
group by the next meeting.  To join the mailing list, send a note to
majorodomo () research att com with 'subscribe ietf-itrace' as the body.

                --Steve Bellovin