Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Differences between firewall-packages like FW-1 and packetfilter

From: "Dameon D. Welch-Abernathy" <dwelch () phoneboy com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:10:16 -0700

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 07:13:34AM -0400, Chris Brenton wrote:

Depending on what mood FireWall-1 is in, you can also have it do stateful
inspection of ICMP (as of 4.0).

But its broken. It will not accept proper ICMP errors (for example
unreachable, TTL expired, etc.) back in unless you deal with it in a
static fashion. IMHO broken is no better than non-existant.

I like Bill Burns code better in this regard. Pity Check Point didn't use
that code instead.

My point was CP does very little to support their own product.
Taking Joe DiPietro's white paper area off-line is a good example.

There's an updated link on my page that points to the new "Official"
location for that information. It does not require a password to get
to. It even appears to have more documents on it than the old ~joe had,
at least as near as I can tell.

I'm trying to broaden my own understanding of it, but I assume the 5 people
in the world you are referring to work at Check Point. :-)

You've just kind of made my point. If people like you and Lance don't
feel fluent with Inspect, what chance does the average admin have of
leveraging this "feature"?

If there were some decent documentation that was written half-way decently,
lots of people could.

-- PhoneBoy