Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: latest firewall tools for linux

From: "Roelof JT Jonkman" <rjonkman () ittc ukans edu>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 15:35:47 -0500

Hello,

Just for clarification I guess, but OpenBSD uses Darren Reed's Ipfilter package
which maintains tcp state, and therefore allows you to deny certain things
pending on the state of the tcp connection. Whereas stock linux with ipchains
is a packetfilter, and it doesn't quite allow you to deny exactly everything.
So in some ways the statement 'openbsd ... happier' may fly in this case,
although it should probably be 'ipfilter .. happier' ;-)

roel
PS. I recently switched from a bridging/hacked linux firewall to an almost stock
    openbsd box with the same functionality + some.