Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

building a firewall using Mason

From: Air Traffic Engineers <tels () bia-ltd co uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 16:01:06 -0000

Hi,

I am currently building a firewall using the Mason package. This has an auto learn facility and seems to work fine. It
has built a firewall which allows our internal Apache server to provide proxy based internet access for all on our
internal network.
The firewall is a standard "dual homed" set-up with 2 nics, one to our ISP's router, and one to our internal network.
The problem I have is that incoming www connections are being refused and blocked by the firewall. I need obviously to
be able to overcome this problem. I suspect that the difficulties lie in the fact that I have no base rule in the Mason
configuration to allow for any incoming traffic, it cant therefore learn this procedure and write the rules. There was
a default base rule to allow for masquerading out, which merely needed our IP address range entering to allow the
learning process for the creation of the outgoing rules.

What I need is some help with a rule to allow all incoming www traffic to be forwarded to the IP address of our Apache
server.
I do not have an understanding of ipchains and the principles of writing this code myself, nor do I wish to have to
learn it!.
I am just trying to set-up a one of firewall that works!

Any help appreciated, please e-mail if you can help!

Bob