Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: BigIP/LD/Alteon

From: "Woeltje, Donald" <dwoeltje () sebh org>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:08:45 -0600

You're missing the point. I don't know about anyone else but I am talking
about strictly price versus performance (speed only; not features). If one
product has features that you want and another doesn't then you go with the
product that does have what you want. And if it's slower or costs more, then
so be it. I'm not here to tell anyone that the choice they've made is wrong.
Neither should anyone else take it upon themselves to tell someone on this
list that what they've done is wrong or a poor choice. I don't work at your
site, so I'm not in a position to tell you that anything you've done for
your site is a poor choice. Neither am I going to let myself become involved
in a "which product is best" argument because there is no such thing.
Different products work best in different situations.

But the question that brought all this one was whether there was a
"firewall" not a "load balancer" that performed at Gigabit Ethernet speeds
and if there were, which might be the lowest in price. And my opinion was,
and still is, that the ACESwitch 180, with firewall capabilities, is one of
the very fastest and lowest cost "firewalls" (it's not a firewall but can
perform those functions) on the market.

And, for the hard-core firewall proponents out there, I also feel that if
you want (or need) a "firewall" then you purchase a "firewall" (not a router
or a switch). And if that does not give you GigEthernet speeds, then so be
it. That's the cross you'll have to bear. And I also don't believe in the
so-called "integrated" products like NetScreen. In my opinion, if you take
ISS's SafeSuite, Checkpoint's FW-1, Security Dynamics SecurID, Cylink's
PrivateWire, Datafellows F-Secure, Axent Technologies ESM, and NAI's
VirusScan and combine all that into something like NetScreen for about
$1000, somewhere along the like you are going to loose a heck of a lot. You
just are not going to get all the same functionality. Now, maybe on a
straight price vs. performance (speed), products like the NetScreen might be
a better choice but if I have the funds available, I'll go the other route
every time because of the extra functionality (features) I'll be getting.