Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Trusted OS...

From: Paul McNabb <mcnabb () argus-systems com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:57:04 -0600 (CST)

 From mjr () nfr net  Thu Mar 23 13:10:30 2000

 >Secure Computing - Sidewinder (BSD)

 Are you sure about that? Secure computing makes a trusted operating
 system (called LOCK, if I recall correctly) but Sidewinder was based
 on BSDI with some orange book fairy dust blown on it - I don't think
 it was a _real_ trusted operating system, just good old BSDI (which is
 probably better) with some hacks in it to include the domain/type
 enforcement stuff.

Yes, I classify Sidewinder on BSDI as a trusted OS (in addition to the
LOCK stuff), because it implements a mandatory access control policy
which is universally applied and it provides the ability to control
privilege operations, both of which are defining characteristics of a
trusted OS (along with the design/implementation process that is intended
to meet evaluation criteria).  The fact that domain type enforcement is
not a Bell-LaPadula model doesn't eliminate it from the running.

What is "orange book fairy dust"?

paul

Paul A. McNabb, CISSP           Argus Systems Group, Inc.
Senior Vice President and CTO   1809 Woodfield Drive
mcnabb () argus-systems com        Savoy, IL 61874 USA
TEL 217-355-6308
FAX 217-355-1433                "Securing the Future"