Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: A router, a firewall, and 2 PVCs

From: ranjan.sahoo () gnpun global net in
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:02:13 +0530

hi

we are in process implementing similar setup for our customers..
i will send u the complete configuration but let me known that the isp connection and branch connectivty are
terminating on different serial interface of router or same serial interface.
u can confgiure the pvcs one for internal and other as external no problem ..

regds ranjan

---- owner-firewall-wizards(a)lists.nfr.net's Message ----

Hi all,

Given the following less than ideal situation:

1-router
1-Firewall-1
1-Frame Relay connection
2-PVCs  one PVC connects to my ISP, the other PVC connects to a branch
site.
The branch is using private IP addresses.

Traffic comes to the router and then to my Firewall-1 box.
Currently the branch site is defined as being external to the firewall.
We would like to define them as being internal to the firewall and
provide them Internet access.  I think PVCs are isolated from each other
assuming no hack at the Frame providers site.

Assuming we are stuck with the one Frame Relay connection:
Is this totally wrong?
Are the two PVCs sufficiently separate that I can consider traffic on
one to be internal and traffic on the other to be external?
It seems that if the one router is configured correctly this should
work.

I realize we have one point of attack and/or failure at the router but
at this point I am short on options.

Thanks for any and all help.  Reading this list is incredibly useful.

Dave Olsen