Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: proxy firewall and email

From: "Dom De Vitto" <dom () devitto com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 12:00:16 -0000

Firstly, Exchange 5.5 (&5.0?) has that daft 'encapsulated SMTP' bug,
so anyone can relay through 5.5 (unless it's fully patched up).
[ Exchange patches are like CERT advisories, always very late and
  always very serious. ]

Secondly, I thought Raptor had a list of (max 30?) domains that it
would accept for, so that should be setup, rather than accept any.

Thirdly, the mailer is broken if it even LOOKS at the From: field,
or anything else in the 'DATA' portion.  SMTP is about transfer,
there is another RFC about what the 'DATA' bit means - most mailers
only prepend an appropriate 'Recieved' (as per the RFC) to the DATA.

Once you've punched the domain lists into raptor I see much of the
problem going away, if it isn't MAIL TO someone@domain the mail won't
ever be accepted by the raptor box.  You may well want to enable MAPS
RBL'ing and as that means the FW does DNS lookups, a local caching DNS
server would help with speed & resiliance.

Best of luck,
Dom
PS.Wow, I get to answer a question from Phoneboy, I must be good or wrong:)
Dom De Vitto
Secure Technologies Ltd.                           Mob. 07971 589 201
mailto:dom () devitto com                             Tel. 01202 738 767
http://www.devitto.com                             Fax. 08700 548 750
The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of me, I MaaaaaaaD.