Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW-1 "allow outbound"

From: dwelch () uswestmail net
Date: 26 Jan 2000 00:23:48 -0800

On Tue, 18 January 2000, "Cannella, Michael (ISS Southfield)" wrote:

A question for the list while I am on the subject of FW-1. Does anybody
know why the
'Allow outbound connections' property has to be set on FW-1/NT for the fw
to pass any
traffic? In my experience this property has the advertised effect on the
Solaris
platform but will stop all traffic dead in the water if not enabled on the
NT platform.

I have seen the same behavior difference between Solaris and NT, but only
with http.  With telnet, for example, both seem to behave the same way.  And
I have no explanation for why that occurs, although, for once, it's NT that
exhibits the safer behavior.

If the HTTP Security Server is involved (i.e. if there's a HTTP resource or User Authentication), I can imagine the
behaviour being slightly different.

This problem is quite apropos your comment about the (ahem) "limitations" of
the Checkpoint docs, which are somewhat misleading:

- the policy property help expressly indicates that the "allow outgoing"
checkbox does not apply to traffic from the internal network.

- the help for "outgoing connections" says--a bit more accurately--that
traffic will only be allowed out from the firewall if either

    *  "allow outgoing" is checked
or
    *  interface direction is set to "eitherbound," and there is a rule that
allows the
       traffic out.

You can also get in trouble if you have some rules installed on gateways, some some rules installed on specific target
(FireWall-1 treats these rules as eitherbound), and interface direction is set to "inbound."

--
Dameon D. Welch, a.k.a. PhoneBoy (dwelch () phoneboy com)
Check Point FireWall-1 FAQs at http://www.phoneboy.com/fw1/