Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Nokia/Checkpoint firewall

From: "Matt Bruce" <matt.bruce () alphawest com au>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:38:04 +0800

don Wang <donwang () uac com> wrote:

Does anyone have any comments about the Nokia firewall solution which
uses Checkpoint?  I have looked at the Nokia web site and want to hear
any field stories that are available.

We've installed a number of Nokia IP330's running Firewall-1 and find them
to be excellent. As the majority of our Firewall-1 clients already have
SPARC Solaris boxes running, we mostly do Solaris installs, but for those of
our clients who don't already have Sun boxes (or can't afford the extra
expense), we prefer the Nokia solution.

However, as the Firewall-1 implementation provided is a port from the
CheckPoint version, you will find that the CheckPoint patches/updates don't
apply to the Nokia -- you have to wait for Nokia to modify any given CP
patch for use on the Nokia box. That's the only drawback I can think of.

Couple that with the fact that:

  1. The administrator doesn't need to understand Solaris.
  2. The IP330 now has the option of 5 interfaces.
  3. It's an extremely simple HTML interface.

you can't go wrong. :)

HTH,

Matt Bruce     <matt.bruce () alphawest com au>
Security & Internet Engineer
AlphaWest - http://www.alphawest.com.au/

** The above is my personal opinion and not that of my employer. **