Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Legal question

From: Carl Friedberg <friedberg () exs esb com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 00:26:23 -0500

I am not familiar with any of the statutes which define wiretapping and
protected communications. However, given "convergence" of telecommunications
and data communications, and voice over IP (VOIP), at the very least,
(assuming you did NOT have any permission to hook up the sniffer) you would
probably have to discard the VOIP without looking at it...

I would imagine that if you did not have a legitimate reason for snooping
the data, you could be in for some legal troubles (ie. theft of trade
secrets comes to mind)...

I'm sure it depends on circumstances. Are you an ISP trouble-shooting a
connection from that network? Probably allowed, but you would have to be
careful about what you did with the packet data. I would hope that this is
covered in a contract between the ISP/IPP and the customer...

Are you a competitor who bribed someone to let you into a wireroom with the
sniffer? I think you get the drift...

Just my 2 cents, carl () comets com