Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: mitigating the lack of a firewall

From: "Burden, James" <JBurden () caiso com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:09:28 -0800

Sorry it has taken a week for me to reply to this, but I for one could not
believe I saw mjr's response...

IMHO, there are two pieces to this puzzle.  The first is the business side,
to determine the worth of the data or enterprise.  This must be weighed
against how much you can spend on security.  The business must determine
what type of risk it is willing to take in order to do business on the big
I.

The second part consists of security theory.  Defense-in-depth is always
greater than a single server.  A single server residing on its own, is not a
security solution.  Other details and tools MUST be included.  Such as a
competent system admin who maintains the server, loads patches, reads the
logs, etc.  It does not matter if we are talking about NT or UNIX.  There
needs to be a security policy in place stating was is permitted or denied.
Next we need tools to trouble-shoot whatever may happen, such as sniffers
and people who can use them.

As far as the lack of firewall if the server itself is as strong as a
firewall.  I do believe this to be true (unless there was only one server
supporting a Mom & Pop organization...).  If you have several servers within
this DMZ, then you basically have multiple doors to guard against an attack.
If we use the analogy of the 1400-1600's, where you have a keep with one
door that is barred and defenses, possibly surrounded by a castle,
surrounded by the local farms and a small wall, etc.  This is
defense-in-depth.  However, when ever possible the defense tries to limit
the egress points to one.  The fewer places to defense the more
concentration you can hold.  If you try to hold a huge perimeter, you will
probably fail.

In the security realm, we usually use ACLs on our perimeter.  Perhaps a
sniffer or IDS system on our uplink to the ISP.  Then a firewall that we can
monitor.  Perhaps another NIDS system on the inside to tell if there are any
security policies that were broken.  Then, you must rely on your host based
IDS, system monitoring and the System Admin for each of the servers.  There
are still more tools that can be used on the server.  Tripwire, ESM,
vulnerability scanners, and etc should be used.  I do not think this is a
totally exhaustive list (as training comes to mind).

The bottom line is that I do not think anyone could say, that I have a
server standing all by itself, and say that have done due diligence to their
employer.  There are many other questions that must be answered.

Jim