Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: the expensive way to do DDoS ?

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:27:38 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 21 Feb 100, Darren Reed wrote:

If you had money to burn, how many el-cheapo pc's would you need to install
at POP's around the world such that you had a virtual army out there that
was yours and from which you could send forged packets whenever you like?
(just how many ISPs are going to bother checking, eh?)  All you have to do
is muddy the path of who the ISP thinks owns those boxes and yourself in the
event that someone works out which boxes the packets are actually coming
from...would 1000 be enough ?  (Are there even that many POPs ? :)  Maybe
too expensive for a teenage hacker, but not the mafia, CIA, etc.

By POPs, I assume you mean more than dial-up.  Under optimal conditions,
1000 PCs at (at most) 40k upstream can do 40Mb of damage.  Not really
enough to match what we saw recently.  If they're all behind cable/DSL,
that would do it.

I don't think that scneraio is particularly interesting for a number of
reasons:  It's too time consuming to set up that many connections,
purchase PCs, etc..  It's too expensive, as opposed to stealing from other
people's resources, and it's a whole lot less anonymous.  I'd be better
off buying a few giant machines, and an OC-12, etc.. under a false name,
and abandoning the NOC.  Much cheaper and quicker to set up, but it would
get shut down faster, so it would depend on the duration of attack I
needed.

                                        Ryan